1.
Discuss an activity, interest, experience, or
achievement in your life (this could be a book, movie, or an activity or
experience at work, home, or at school) that has been particularly meaningful
for you. (University of Florida)
An Indian
Experience:
I was
living in a small town in Northern India with an American family. The mother of
that family always had beautiful saris, and I wanted one so badly.
So one weekend, we went into town to a fabric
store. I sat down on a little wooden bench covered with some cushions and
stared at the walls stacked to the ceiling with boxes containing sari fabric
“What kind
of sari are you looking for?” the shopkeeper asked me.
I had no
idea! So I just started with styles. I decided on a sari made of georgette (a
subtlety printed fabric).
So they
brought down boxes. So many boxes of so many beautiful saris. The assistant
took down piles from the shelves, and then the shopkeeper showed them to me,
flipping the boxes open quickly and waiting for my judgments. Not that one. No.
No. No. I looked at around 20 saris, declining them all, until finally I saw
the one for me. Yes. I said. It was a rich purple hue, with green embroidery
and a green border. It was gorgeous.
The Indian
woman shopping for a sari sitting down next to me approved of my choice,
smiling at me.
So I purchased my sari “set”, and was off to
the tailors to get a blouse and skirt made for it. We dropped it off, the
tailor took my measurements, and then we were off to home.
A week
later, I returned to pick up my sari and lug it home. When we arrived back at
the house, I took the sari out of the box, and the mother of the family I was
living with helped me put it on. She pleated the sari meticulously, lining up
all the folds, and helped me wrap it with care. I looked in the mirror, and
when I saw my reflection, I smiled. It was such a lovely sari.
Buying my
own sari made me appreciate so much the saris I see women wear everyday—I
realize the time it pick one out, have it made, and the care that goes into the
lovely pleating of the fabric. I could see one woman had done a beautiful job
with the pleats, and I appreciated all the effort with which she taken. Buying
my own sari taught me so many things about India. I was so impressed with the
shopkeeper’s skill at helping me find a sari, the care with which a sari is
purchased, the beauty of the clothes of different cultures, and the ingenuity
from which a 7-meter piece of fabric becomes a something beautiful, all due to
the resourcefulness of the Indian people.
No comments:
Post a Comment