If you
were to look back on your high school years, what advice would you give to
someone beginning their high school career? (Simmons)
Well, I don’t know how qualified I
am to give advice to someone starting high school, as I am still in the middle of
the journey, but from what I have learned so far, here are some guidelines I
try to live by:
1.
Devote your time to something you really care about.
I know many of my friends, especially in Bellevue, who
try to fill up their schedules with many extracurricular activities. They join
clubs, participate in community service events, but they don’t really care
about what they’re doing. Those achievements may look good on a transcript for
college, but they don’t really help one learn anything. I feel that by devoting
your time to something you are really passionate about, you can be much happier
with yourself and make your activities much more meaningful. For example, I
play French horn. I love it, and I devote myself to it, practicing every day
for around 2 hours. Playing the French horn, and playing it well, has taken me
so many places, and has become a really special activity for me. I’ve made so
many new friends and created so many new relationships through this love of
music. In addition, music has really helped me through high school, and I think
finding something you really love to do and pursuing it leads to happiness and fulfillment.
2.
Don’t do really stupid things.
Partying doesn’t really get you anywhere. My dad partied
through college and almost flunked out, and although he’s doing great now, it
was really tough for him to move up the ladder, to get a good job, to get his
life together. I’ve seen what happens to people who party—addiction—drugs, alcohol.
Those habits just continue in college, where there is even easier access to
drugs and crazy parties. Why start a bad habit that’s so hard to quit?
3.
Don’t worry about what others think.
If you are happy and healthy, don’t worry so much about
what everyone thinks of you. There’s always the tales of the fat middle-aged
man who used to be the popular jock, and the drugstore clerk who used to be the
cheerleading captain. Popularity won’t get you that far in life, so don’t worry
so much about it. Find friends who care for who you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment