Monday, 7 November 2011

Day 6

Have you ever struggled for something and failed? How did you respond? Have you experienced a feeling of disappointment and dissatisfaction of yourself?

Body image is a problem very close to my own heart. For so long I have struggled to achieve a perfect body, to look like the models in the photos. It never works. I read all sorts of diet books, tried all sorts of exercise plans. I always thought the perfect body would make me cool, special, a better person. I know those are lies, but somewhere inside I sort of believed them.
I’m getting better as the years go by, but I haven’t succeeded on my quest to be comfortable with myself. Today, I understand that the perfect body won’t get me any further with life, but I still want a flatter stomach, skinnier thighs. I still feel disappointed when I eat something unhealthy, eat too much, when my jeans feel tight.
I respond always to my dissatisfaction by “trying harder”, trying to change something about my diet, maybe adding some other exercise to my daily routine.
It’s so difficult to just find peace within myself that my body is fine just the way it is. I know I’m not overweight. But everyday, society is driving into our heads the idea of perfection.
It’s a little ridiculous to struggle so much for something unachievable, but it’s so common.  I know I’m not the only one with that challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment